1. Commercial Property
SSJ can advise on all aspects of commercial and industrial property including:
- Purchase of development land and its subsequent sale
- Granting and acquiring leases
- Funding of development schemes
- Landlord and Tenant matters, including those involving rent, repairs and statutory protection
- Environmental issues.
2. Domestic Property
At SSJ, we try to ensure that the legal aspects of buying or selling a home cause the least disruption possible. We will give you individual attention to fully explain the paperwork and procedures involved in buying, selling or mortgaging a house or flat. You will receive an estimate for the legal fees and other payments necessary so you work out your budget in advance. We can also offer detailed advice concerning all Landlord and Tenant matters including:
- Creating, renewal and ending of leases
- Rights and obligations of landlords and tenants We have a wealth of experience in acting for parties to a lease in respect of rent, repairs, maintenance charges and insurance matters.
3. Commercial and civil litigation
Our work covers all aspects of commercial and civil litigation including:
- Contractual disputes
- Property disputes
- Contentious Landlord and Tenant cases
4. Debt Recovery
SSJ can deal with all aspects of debt recovery in individual and bulk cases and in respect of the enforcement of judgments obtained.
5. Employment Law
SSJ can advise both employers and employees on all aspects of employment law including:
- Negotiation and drafting of terms and conditions of employment and contracts of employment
- Breach of contract
- Termination of employment, including dismissal procedures and redundancy
- Hearings before Employment Tribunals and the Employment Appeal Tribunal
- Discrimination Law.
6. Company and Commercial Law
We can undertake matters involving:
- Formations, funding, constitutions and reconstructions
- Share and asset sales / purchases
- Appointment, duties and retirement of Directors
- Company Secretarial services
SSJ can also advise on all aspects of Partnership Law.
Our team advising businesses also deals with intellectual property rights, terms of trade and aspects of e-commerce. We also recognise that our commercial clients deserve a continuing all around service from their lawyers therefore we aim to assist and counsel them in the successful running of their business on a long term basis.
7. Local Authority Law
SSJ acted on behalf of Derwentside District Council from its inception in 1974 having previously acted for Consett Urban District Council and Lanchester Rural District Council. Our experience gained from this source is considerable and varied and is both relevant and applicable in many other related areas of practice. We have expertise in all aspects of District Council Law including:
- Landlord and Tenant
- Housing Matter
- Land Development
8. Licensing Law
Part of our Practice is devoted to the law relating to Clubs and Pubs, Industrial and Provident Societies and Friendly Societies dealing with:
- Forming and registering Clubs
- Raising mortgage finance
- Licensing (alcohol and entertainment)
9. Housing Law
SSJ can advise and act for housing providers with particular reference to:
- Purchase and development of land
- Sale of housing units
- Management of properties
- Creation and termination of leases
- Litigation, including recovery of possession for rent arrears and nuisance
10. Criminal Law
Our Criminal defence team are all members of the Duty Solicitor Service providing advice and representation on a 24 hour basis at the Police Station and during court sessions. SSJ maintains a Criminal Defence Service franchise and is committed to delivering a high quality and efficient service.
The firm’s caseload covers the full spectrum of offences from the most minor motoring offence to the most serious Crown Court cases. Our solicitors undertake their own advocacy but we maintain an excellent working relationship with the local criminal chambers should your case require it.
11. Wills, Probate and Administration of Estates
Our practitioners dealing with Wills, Probate and Estate administration have vast experience in advising clients on the making of Wills and Estate planning. Everyone should have a clear and valid Will setting out what is to happen upon death. A Will does not have to be lengthy or complicated but it is an effective means of ensuring dependants and family are saved an immense amount of trouble, worry and money.
We have considerable experience in advising on Trust matters - setting up, operation and also resolving disputes.
Acting as the Executor of someone’s Will or dealing with an Estate where there is no Will, is usually a time consuming and responsible task. We are able to deal with the legal and administrative details of estate administration and work hard to keep the personal representatives and beneficiaries fully informed throughout what is often a very difficult and emotional time.
12. Family Law
SSJ fully understand that the end of a relationship and dealing with the associated financial and children issues is seldom easy. It is often an emotionally distressing time. As experts in divorce legal advice, we work with you towards an outcome that works for you and your family.
We offer a sensitive and pragmatic approach, providing a highly specialised service tailored to meet the individual needs of you and your family. We aim to resolve disputes in a pragmatic fashion practically with imagination, sensitivity and discretion. The lawyers in our team are skilled advocates and negotiators. We pride ourselves in giving clear straightforward advice in the most complex situations. We have the expertise to deal with a full range of difficulties which arise in Family Law including:
- Financial and property matters when a relationship ends
- Issues involving children
- Care proceedings
- Contractual arrangements for those living together
- Pre-nuptial agreements
- Civil Partnership
- Collaborative Law
Our family team includes members of Resolution, members of The Law Society’s Family Panel and Advanced Family Panel, and a trained Collaborative Lawyer all of whom are acutely aware that the area of law relating to the breakdown of personal relationships requires a sensitive approach.
The maintenance of our Legal Services Commission Franchise in Family Law imposes quality standards on our legally aided workload which are carried over into our private work.